Name Dr. G.L. Bansal
Date of birth September 1, 1953
Contact Details +91-94181 93799
After completing my Doctorate of Philosophy from P.U. Chandigarh, I joined Himachal Pradesh KrishiVishvavidhyalaya (HPKV) as Assistant Plant Physiologist in 1980. For the two initial first and foremost ad hoc projects in the University, soon I was promoted as Associate Professor (Plant Physiology). In the year 1991, I was appointed as Head of the Department (Plant Physiology) of the newly created College of Basic Sciences and served in this position for 18 years.
Being the recipient of Best Teacher Award of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) from the Faculty of Basic Sciences for the year 1992, I was elevated to the rank of Professor and Head in 1994.
I have been The Dean, College of Basic Sciences (COBS), CSK Himachal Pradesh Agricultural University(CSKHPKV), Palampur from October 7, 2007 to superannuate in this position on August 31, 2013.
Some of my achievements :
- Coordinator (Research) for COBS from 1996 till superannuation.
- In 2002, I was also entrusted the position of Associate Director of new established Biodiversity Centre at HPKV, Palampur. I compiled information on food diversity in Himachal Pradesh sponsored by the state National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans(NBSAP) authority. I have been associated with Biodiversity conservation.
- As the Country Coordinator of the International Allelopathy Society and the Vice President of Indian Society of Allelopathy. I organized the international workshop on “Protocols and methodologies in Allelopathy” from April 04-06,2004.
- Fellow of Indian Society for Plant Physiology since 2000.
- Visited Philippines, Canada, USA and Japan for attending international conferences and presenting research papers/invited lectures and chairing the sessions.
- Attended 10 International and 42 National Conferences/Symposia.
- Thirty years of experience of Research and Developmental Project Formulation, Planning, Execution and Reviewing for various Government of India agencies.
- Completed eleven ad hoc projects including a PL-480 project sponsored by United States Department of Agriculture USDA.
- Remarkably, I was instrumental in formulating and implementing DST- Fund for Improvement of S&T infrastructure(FIST) in COBS.
- Worked out the cultivation technology of a nutritious but neglected crop Amaranth for greens (Chulai) and grain purpose (Ramdana) in the year 1992.
- Established a Vermicompostcentre where organic garbage is converted into agricultural gold. Through the revolving fund on vermi-technology in this center, I generated a sum of Rs. 1.0 crore which is a permanent source of revenue for the university.
- Standardized hydroponic tomato, capsicum and strawberry cultivation.
- Published 4 review articles and more than 40 research papers in journals of repute.
- Member of seven international/national academic societies.
I have a long standing in the field of Plant Physiology and have been on several National Committees and the Panel of ICAR.
After my superannuation, as Dean, Faculty of Basic Sciences on August 31, 2013, currently I am associated with soilless/hydroponic cultivation and Vertical Farming and the developments associated with this upcoming area of urban agriculture. I have delivered talks at several fora on Hydroponics and Vertical farming.
I have served as Honorary Director and Crop Physiologist at SGI Entrprises, Gurgaon from July 31, 2014 to September 09, 2014.
- Hydroponic Vegetable Cultivation: Prospects and Potentials in Brain Storming Session on “Plant Physiology and Biochemistry” held at Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi from August 05-06, 2011.
- Soilless Vegetable Cultivation and Vertical Farming in Summer School on Protected Cultivation for Enhanced Profitability held at HP Agric University Palampur from September 03-23, 2012.
- Hydroponic Vegetables and Vertical Farming in 2ndJammu and Kashmir Agricultural Science Congress held at Shere Kashmir University of Agric Sciences and Tech., Jammu from December 15-17, 2012.
- Vertical Farming and Soilless Cultivation in a Workshop on Climate Controlled Greenhouses for Agricultural Research held at Centre for Development of Advanced Computing(C- DAC), Mohali, Chandigarh on July 11, 2013.
- Soilles/dirtfree Farming Systems in Soilless Gardening conference and Mini Expo at Exhibition grounds Bombay from February 08-09, 2014.
- Hydroponic Cultivation and Vertical Farming in Emerging Trends in Botanical Sciences at Punjabi University, Patiala, February 17-18, 2014.
- Hydroponic farming at Mini Expo and Conference organised by Soilless Gardening of India at Exhibition grounds, Bombay February 08-09, 2015.
- Hydroponics—the basis of Vertical Farming in International Conference on Vertical Farming held at The Taj-West End, Bangalore from Nov 2-3,2015.
- Hydroponics, Soilless and Vertical Farming in the National Consultative Workshop on “ Protected Cultivation to Meet Future Challenges at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharward from Feb 17-18,2017.
- Hydroponics -an Emerging Opportunity In 2nd Agri Leadership summit 2017 at Surajkund, Faridabad, Haryana from March 18-19,2017.
- “Farming on Shrinking Lands”appeared in The Tribune, Chandigadh, India dated February 12, 2011.
Link to the online article – http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110212/edit.htm#6
- “Soilless Farming/Hydroponic crop cultivation” appeared in Soilless Gardening magazine of India pp 36-41, dated April 07, 2014.
- “Hydroponics—the basis of Vertical Farming” in proceedings International Conference on Vertical Farming held at The Taj-West End, Bangalore from Nov 2-3, 2015 pp 41-45
- “Hydroponics, Soilless and Vertical Farming” as extended summary in souvenir of the National Consultative Workshop on “ Protected Cultivation to Meet Future Challenges at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharward from Feb 17-18,2017, p50-56
Recent TV talk delivered:
Tv talk on Hydroponics and Soilless Farming for Green Tv India delievered on March 17, 2015.